I have a secret. I have a love for puns and double entendres. So it may come as no surprise to you that I always enjoy my Spirit Airlines fares alert emails. And the latest chapter is no exception.
“We’re Not Smoking Crack” … the deal is real: one-way fares of $29.90 to Niagara Falls International Airport (IAG), which it calls the “Toronto area”, from Ft. Meyers. Yes, Spirit Airlines is at it again.
The discount regional airlines Spirit Airlines is using the latest political fallout of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s recent admission to smoking crack in its advertisements on its website along with a “likeness” of the (sooner to be former?) Mayor.
Prior marketing ploys involving the unfortunate times of others have included:
- Former New York congressman Anthony Weiner’s sex scandal (“Weiner Sale” with “Fares Too HARD to Resist!“; “Carlos Danger…The Weiner Rises Again“).
- The 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico (“Check Out the Oil on Our Beaches“).
- The Miami Dolphins bullying incident (“Don’t be bullied by high fares. Fly incognito out of Florida or any place for that matter“)
- The Mitt Romney debate line (“We’ve got tons of binders full of sales… Women will love them!“)
- The Gov. Schwarzenegger-Shriver split (“Fares so low, you can take the whole family! Including that half-brother you just met“)
- The American Airlines’ loose seat problems (“WE LET FARES LOOSE, NOT SEATS! 7.57% OFF“)
- The Alex Rodriguez performance-enhancing drugs scandal (“Improve your travel performance! with our PEDs! You’ll have A-Rodiculously great time!“)
Do you have a Spirit Airlines favorite ad? More examples: “Go South for VD”? M.I.L.F. (Many Islands, Low Fares) Sale? Hunt for Hoffa Dig Game?
Or… do you side with those that find these off-color ads distasteful and improper?
What say you?