Another card that Scotiabank announced significant changes to (old v new comparison) is the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card, starting August 1, 2019. One of the strongest premium cashback cards in Canada now comes with first year annual fee waived, for new cardholders, until October 31, 2019.
Highlights of the changes to the card:
- Annual Fee for Primary card increases to $120, and Supplementary card fee to $50
- Interest rate on purchases increases to 20.99%
- Cash Back on Recurring Bills increases from 2% to 4%
- Cash Back on Gas decreases from 4% to 2%
- New category of Daily Transit added, earns 2% cash back
- Cash Back on Drug store purchases decreases from 2% to 1%
- Trip Cancellation Insurance and Mobile Device Insurance now added to insurance coverage
Review: Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card – Apply Now
- Annual Fee: $120
- Earning Rate:
- 4% Groceries, Recurring Bills
- 2% Gas, Daily Transit
- 1% all other eligible everyday purchases
- Insurance Coverage:
- Travel Emergency medical coverage for persons under 65
- Trip Interruption
- Trip Cancellation
- Flight Delay
- Delayed or Lost Luggage
- Rental Car Collision/Lost Damage
- Extended Warranty
- Purchase Security
- Mobile Device Insurance
- Redeeming Scotia Rewards® points
- Book directly through Scotia Rewards® Travel Service (full-service travel agency): 1 cent a piece, 10,000 points for $100 and so on..
- Book with ANY Travel Provider: Apply points at 1 cent a piece
- Redeem as Statement Credit: Redemption value can range from 0.6-0.8 cents per point
- Convert to SCENE Points (or vice versa)
- Redeem for gift cards, prepaid cards or other merchandise
Detailed list of benefits and perks of the card are listed here
For households that have high spends in Gas purchases, the change from $4% cash back to 2% can be a big negative. Depending on the services one subscribes to, 4% cash back on recurring bills is a good feature to have. Note that the 4% earn category has a $25000 annual limit.
Related Terms and Conditions:
Eligibility and Exclusions: Individuals who are currently or were previously primary or secondary cardholders of a Scotiabank retail credit card in the past 2 years, including those that switch from an existing Scotiabank retail credit card, as well as employees of Scotiabank, are not eligible for the first year annual fee waiver offer (the “Offer”). Subject to the above exclusions, Scotiabank small business credit cardholders are eligible for the Offer.
Offer Description and Conditions: We will waive the initial annual fee for the primary card and each additional supplementary card for the first year. Offer applies to new Scotiabank credit card accounts (“Accounts”) only that are opened by October 31, 2019. Any additional supplementary cards must be issued by October 31, 2019 to qualify.
Rates and Fees: The current annual fee is $99 for the primary card and $30 for each additional supplementary card. The current preferred annual interest rates for the Account are: 20.99% (19.99% until July 31, 2019) on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances (including balance transfers, Scotia® Credit Card Cheques and cash-like transactions). All rates, fees, features and benefits are subject to change. Offers may be changed, cancelled or extended and cannot be combined with any other offers.