Back in April I took my daughter on an adventure to South America. We spent four lovely days in Buenos Aires, enjoying the history and beauty of the European-influenced capital of Argentina. We even made some new friends while we were there! From the history of Centro, to the beauty of San Telmo, to the gleaming skyscrapers in Puerto Madero, we enjoyed every bit of BA.
But we had to say goodbye all too quickly. Crossing over the Rio de la Plata, which separates Argentina and Uruguay, we enjoyed a day in UNESCO-listed Colonia del Sacramento, followed by two more in the laid-back capital of Uruguay: Montevideo. This was altogether too short a visit to this unassuming South American country.
Our trip concluded with two days and one night in Miami, enjoying the beach. It was a lovely way to end our 9 days.
Recap of Our Adventures
I like to post daily blogs of our trips whenever possible. From the most interesting to the mundane, I hope it provides a window into travels with kids. I covered all of our adventures in China back in November 2018. Here are the daily posts and tour reports from our 2019 Trip to Argentina, Uruguay and Miami:
- 4 Days in Buenos Aires: Day 1 – The Heart of the City
- 4 Days in Buenos Aires: Day 2 – Lomito and La Boca
- Biker Street Buenos Aires Bike Tour Review
- 4 Days in Buenos Aires: Day 3 – Exploring Retiro and Recoleta
- Free Walks Buenos Aires Review
- 4 Days in Buenos Aires: Day 4 – Feria and Friends
- Day Trip to Colonia del Sacramento, UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Exploring Montevideo, Day 1: Uruguay’s Laid-Back Capital
- Exploring Montevideo, Day 2: Sun and Soccer
- Two Stunning Sunrises: A Relaxing Day and a Half in Miami Beach
Hotel/Flight Reviews and Planning Tips
In addition to daily blogs, here are my reviews of various flights, hotels and lounges we experienced during our travels:
- American Airlines A321 Main Cabin Extra Review: SFO to Dallas
- The Club at DFW Review
- American Airlines 777-200 Business Class Review: Dallas to Buenos Aires
- Review: Hilton Buenos Aires
- Guide: Colonia Express Ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento
- Guide: Turil Bus from Colonia to Montevideo
- Review: Hyatt Centric Montevideo
- American Airlines 767 Business Class Review
- Cheapest and Best Way to Get from MIA Airport to Miami Beach
- Review: The Confidante Miami Beach
- Cheapest and Best Way from Miami Beach to FLL Airport
- Hellish First Experience with JetBlue. It Wasn’t the Airline’s Fault.
If you’re looking for an underrated South American destination to explore, consider Uruguay. It’s a small country, and there aren’t any “big” sights to see like there are in neighboring Argentina. If you just want to enjoy a new culture and excellent food, Uruguay is a great choice. Plus, it’s probably the most safe and stable country on the continent.