We’re in the second to last week of the US Travel Association’s Daily Getaways, and today’s deal is a new one for 2017.
For those not familiar with Daily Getaways, travel deals and packages are offered on a first-come first-served each weekday from April 10, 2017 through May 12, 2017. For a look at previous offers or to learn more about the Daily Getaways click here.
Today’s deal is for a discounted Orbitz promotional code –
$1,000 Orbitz Promo Code for Just $650 (55 packages available)
The packages go on sale at 1pm EST today.
To purchase the deal today, click the individual links above or follow this link to the calendar for the week of May 1, 2017 and select the package you are interested in.
Within ten business days of your purchase, a $1,000 Orbitz promo code will be sent to your email address.
This is a great opportunity to get a discount for a stand-alone hotel booking on Orbitz (it cannot be used for flights +hotel or flights + hotel + car). As they say though, the devil is in the details. If you are thinking of purchasing this package, make sure you read carefully how this discount can be used as well as the limitations.
For example, the minimum spend of the reservation is $1,000 before any taxes or fees. The promo code can only be used once, and any leftover value is void. This is a huge drawback for anyone thinking they could use this as a $1,000 credit, booking several reservations over the course of the year.
It cannot be used for multi-room bookings either, so if you’re planning a trip for you and a bunch of family staying in several rooms, you’d only be able to use the promo code on one room.
Where will you get the most bang for your buck with this deal?
Independent hotels rather than chains will be the best choice here, where you cannot get a third or fourth night free via FHR or Amex, and where there are no loyalty benefits to booking directly with the hotel (such as SPG, Hyatt, etc.).
A great example is the Hangaroa Eco Village & Spa on Easter Island. Perhaps the most upscale property on the entire island, rates tend to hover around $550-$600 a night. There really aren’t any chain hotels to choose from, so this one is a great choice as well as a nice splurge.
You could book on Orbitz using the pre-paid option required with this coupon, and save $350 on a two-night stay. You’d be maximizing this coupon while hitting all the required T’s&C’s from Orbitz. Plus, a two-night stay is arguably just about the right amount of time to spend on Easter Island to see all the major sights.
Four Seasons properties might also be a good fit for this coupon if doing a single night stay, though you might want to check to see if you could get better benefits (such as free breakfast, upgrades, etc. ) if booking elsewhere first such as Virtuoso or Fine Hotels & Resorts.
As an example, the gorgeous Four Seasons Resort Hualalai property on Hawaii has rates that start in the mid-$700’s for golf course view. You could spring for a prime ocean view room at $1,135 using the coupon (provided that Orbitz has the prepaid feature for that property) when ordinarily you’d be stuck with a lower golf category of room if paying $350 less.
The promo code must be redeemed by December 31, 2018, which does give you plenty of time to use it. Travel must be completed by December 31, 2018 as well, so you cannot use the promo code near the end of the 2018 for spring break in 2019.
Here are the full Terms & Conditions for the offer:
1. Subject to the restrictions set out in these terms and conditions and in compliance with the above, the coupon code may be applied to a pre-pay stand-alone hotel booking (not a hotel booking in combination with any other product such as flight hotel or flight hotel + car) made online at www.orbitz.com . The coupon code can only be used for pre-paid bookings and cannot be redeemed against bookings which are paid at the destination.
2. Provided that you spend a minimum of $1,000 (the price of the booking excluding any taxes, fees or additional costs) in one booking, the coupon code entitles you to $1,000 off the price of the relevant travel reservation before the application of any taxes, applicable fees or additional costs.
3. The coupon code cannot be redeemed against taxes, supplier fees, cancellation or change fees/penalties, administrative fees or other miscellaneous charges, which are the sole responsibility of the customer.
4. The coupon code may only be used in relation to the first room booked on an eligible single booking. This means that where the eligible booking includes more than one room, the coupon code will only be applied against the first room in the booking.
5. Usual booking terms and conditions apply (see https://www.orbitz.com/p/info-other/legal.htm) and all bookings are subject to availability.
6. The coupon code may not be used or combined with other coupons, promotions or special offers.
7. The coupon code cannot be used for any booking previously made. It will be deemed fully redeemed once a qualifying booking has been made. The coupon code has no cash value and no refunds or cash alternative will be offered. There is no residual value and no credit will be issued if the purchase amount is less than the coupon code discount. The coupon code may not be re-used, even in the event that you change or cancel the booking.
8. The coupon code is void where prohibited by law and may only be used by legal residents of the US aged 18 and over.
9. Message and data rates may apply. Please consult your wireless service provider regarding their pricing plans. Not all wireless service providers carry the necessary text message service to participate. Check your wireless devise for specific text messaging instructions and capabilities.
10. The coupon code may not be used by employees of Expedia group companies (including Orbitz) or any other person professionally connected with this offer including, without limitation, travel agency affiliate program partners.
11. Improper use of the coupon code by you including but not limited to publication or selling of the coupon code is prohibited, will result in the voiding of the coupon codes use, and may constitute fraud.
12. This Coupon may not be transferred or sold. Coupon codes obtained through unauthorized channels, mutilated, altered, copied, forged, damaged, manipulated, or tampered with in any way will be deemed void.
13. Orbitz reserves the right to change or withdraw this offer at any time and to cancel any bookings made where the coupon was improperly obtained or used to make any speculative, false, or fraudulent bookings.
14. This offer is from Orbitz.
15. Terms and conditions of this coupon are as written and cannot be changed by any representation of any unauthorized person, including employees of the Expedia, Inc. group companies (including Orbitz Worldwide). These terms and conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Washington State, USA.
Even with lengthy T&C and limitations, you can’t go wrong with this promo code if you plan wisely. You could see a ton of savings on a booking that would ordinarily cost you $350 more.
I myself won’t be trying to get one of these today, as I don’t have any upcoming hotel plans that I’d want to use this for. I’d be a little wary of buying this package if I wasn’t absolutely sure which hotel I could use it at first.
There aren’t a ton of these packages available so I’m not certain if they’ll go very fast. As always, if you are interested in one of the packages, even if it isn’t gone in a flash, you’d be smart to be ready to book right when the clock strikes 1pm EST just in case.