November 29, 2014 is Small Business Saturday, where American Express card holders can register for a $10 statement credit when purchasing at enrolled small businesses on that date, up to three times per card. What some people may not be aware of is that it isn’t just for shopping. There are many boutique hotels that participate as well so if you are staying at one you could get at least one credit without making any extra purchases.
Here are just a few hotels that are participating in Small Business Saturday this year –
Mayfair New York
The Greenwich Hotel
Savoy Suites Hotel, Washington DC
Kahala Hotel & Resort, Honolulu
Hotel Des Arts, San Francisco
Avalon Hotel on Catalina Island
Viceroy Palm Springs Hotel
It’s easy to receive the statement credit.
First, register your American Express card. Here’s a handy link to the registration page. American Express Consumer Cards and Business Cards from American Express Open are eligible. Corporate cards and most prepaid cards are not eligible, but Serve and Bluebird cards are.
Note that the number of registrations is limited. It opened up today and continues through November 29, 2014 or until the maximum number of registrations is received earlier, so I recommend registering your cards now.
Go to www.shopsmall.com to find businesses that are enrolled in the program, so you know where to shop on Small Business Saturday.
Make a purchase in-store or onsite at one of those participating businesses on Saturday November 29, 2014. The purchase must be in the amount of $10 or more in order to get the credit, so two $5 purchases would not qualify.
The process can be repeated up to 3 times, for a total statement credit of $30.
I’ve already registered my cards, and I think this is a great promotion.
Offer Terms per their website:
1. Limit three (3) $10 statement credits per eligible American Express Card. To receive the offer, Card Members must register any eligible American Express Card for this offer. Corporate Cards and all prepaid Card products (other than American Express Serve® and Bluebird®) are not eligible.
2. The number of registrations is limited. Registration opens at 12:00 A.M. MST (“Mountain Standard Time”) on Nov 16, 2014 and will continue until 11:59 P.M. MST on Nov 29, 2014, unless the registration limit is reached sooner.
3. To receive the $10 statement credit, the Card Member must use his or her registered Card to spend $10 or more in a single, in-store transaction at a qualifying small business location on Saturday, Nov 29, 2014. For example, if your transaction is only for $5, you will not receive a credit. Multiple transactions of less than $10 will not qualify even if the combined total of those transactions is over $10. You may purchase multiple items that together equal $10 or more, but you must purchase them in a single transaction to receive the statement credit. Online transactions do not qualify.
4. Qualifying small business locations appear on the Shop Small® Map available at ShopSmall.com. Please note that the businesses listed on the Shop Small Map may change. In addition, business location and other information provided on the Shop Small Map may contain inaccuracies or errors, including as a result of information provided by third parties. Transactions with political campaigns or political action committees as well as purchases at gas or service stations do not qualify for the statement credit, regardless of whether they appear on the Shop Small Map.
5. If American Express does not receive information that identifies a transaction as having occurred in-store at a qualifying small business location on Nov 29, 2014, the transaction will not qualify for the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you will not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it.
6. The statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after Nov 29, 2014, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase as described above. Note that American Express may not receive information that identifies your transaction as a qualifying transaction if the items from your purchase are not all provided to you on Nov 29, 2014. For example, if you purchase an item that is not available until after Nov 29, 2014, that item will not count towards determining whether your transaction qualifies for the offer.
7. The statement credit may be reversed if the qualifying purchase is returned or cancelled. POID BHYI:0001