After reading a lot of security camera reviews, I wanted to write my own Dropcam Pro review, as it was the camera I selected. Now, after 6 weeks of trying it out, I’m ready to buy at least one more! My home security camera (ironically) has quickly become my new favorite travel tool!
While the standard price for the newer Pro model currently runs $199, the easy setup and use sold me. Nowadays, whether I’m across town at work or across the globe, I value my new travel tool as delivering the piece of mind I needed knowing that I can pull out my iPhone or open my web browser and view my home in seconds! Honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without it now that I have personal security at my fingertips.
– Great iPhone App: Easy setup, smart interaction, DVR playback, zoom, camera control, etc.
– Alerts: Set email and/or phone alerts when movement and/or sounds detected. A security must!
– Cloud-Based Recording: Affordable cloud-based recording options (I bought the 7-day cycle for $99/year; 30-day cycle $299) means no additional equipment or complicated WiFi setup or communication confusion.
– NEW: Custom Activity Zones allows you to receive alerts about specific areas within Dropcam’s view.
– Hardware: Well designed, simple, quality design and materials.
– Setup: Piece of cake!
– HD Quality: Beautiful 720p HD, 1280×720 at 30 frames/sec is equally great on computer or phone.
– Audio: 2-way communications (read: makes for a great baby monitor!)
– Night Vision: As long as it’s not up against glass (e.g. looking out a window), the automatic infrared LEDs are stellar!
– Recording Fees: It’s live video or pay for Dropcam recording services. Some may find the cloud-based recording to be too expensive and a deal breaker. I viewed it as part of the cost and consider both the ease of no DVR recording device and risk of technical issues to be beneficial.
– Cost: Similar products can match Dropcam’s functions at less cost, e.g. Foscam ($129).
– Zoom: The digital zoom can be difficult to manage, but most of the time the zoom->refocus has worked well for me.
Specs (per Dropcam):
– Stunning Video Quality: New optics and updated image sensor provide 2x sharper video.
– 60 Second Setup: Connect to Wi-Fi via computer or iOS mobile device, live stream in under a minute.
– Incredible Field of View: 130 degrees diagonal up to x8 digital zoom and Night Vision.
– Two-Way Talk, Intelligent Alerts, Scheduling and Mobile & Web apps.
– Cloud Video Recording (CVR) – Review footage and make clips with optional secure offsite recording.
– Dual-band Wi-Fi – Dropcam Pro supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi networks for improved wireless connectivity.
Custom Activity Zones Video
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission.