American Express is running a fall travel sweepstakes through November 15, 2014. The winner will receive a $2500 American Express Gift Card and a 3 night stay for two at the Four Seasons hotel in their city of choice – Scottsdale, Arizona; Paris, France; Sydney, Australia; Mexico City, Mexico; or at the Peninsula Papagayo in Costa Rica.
How to enter –
Click here to go to their sweepstakes page.
Put in your first name, last name, email address and check the box that you agree to the Terms & Conditions. You’ll receive one entry as soon as you do that.
Note that the contest is only open to US residents, and that the winner must stay at the hotel between January 5, 2015 and June 30, 2015.
In addition to the single entry, you can earn 10 additional entries by following the prompts and answering a series of travel questions (one entry per correct answer, for a total of 10 extra entries). If you don’t know the answers, there is a hint button that takes you to the paragraph in Escape Magazine for help.
Here were my answers:
1. A haven for a growing population of adventurous “ecotourists,” Costa Rica is home to over three million glorious acres of what?
A. Conservation land
2.Don’t forget to pack your game face if you’re traveling to Australia. Sporty Aussies name cricket and which other high-energy competitive sport as their national favorites?
C. Australian rules football
3. The chicest way to get around in Paris? Ask a local, and they’ll tell you to take a Vélib’, the name for Paris’s collection of tres convenient _________.
C. Self-serve bike rentals
4. See the wilder side of the great down under with a tour of this isolated island located off of South Australia, which has been described as “a zoo without fences.”
C. Kangaroo Island
5. Boasting enormous billowing glass sails, the Fondation Louis Vuitton pour la Création, designed by Frank Gehry and opening in the fall of 2014, will be devoted to what art form?
B. Contemporary Art
6. A foodie destination of Australia, Hunter Valley is home to over 150 of these.
7. Looking to take part in a hot new travel trend? Researchers report that 40% of leisure travelers took at least one of these distinct classifications of trips in 2012.
C. Multigenerational family vacations
8. Your best bet for exploring Costa Rica like a local is to consult a local! In Costa Rica, natives refer to themselves using this word.
9. Head to this destination—the endpoint of North America’s monarch butterfly migration—to catch a glimpse of nearly 100 million butterflies reveling in the warmth.
10. Shop for a taste of Paris in a supermarket? Mais, non! Instead, grab a fresh baguette and fancy cheese lunch Seine-side at this well-appointed artisan market in the Latin Quarter:
A. Place Monge
After answering all the questions, you’ll then have received 11 entries into the sweepstakes.
You can then choose to email friends to gain extra entries if you like.
Reading the details on the different packages, it is interesting to see the variance in listed package value depending on which property the winner selects.
The stay includes room tax, resort fee and daily breakfast for two. The fine print indicates that these are the values of the different packages –
Scottsdale – 2100 USD
Sydney – 1050 AUD
Paris – 4698 EUR
Costa Rica – 3200 USD
Mexico City – 1924 USD (resort fee and breakfast not mentioned as being included though they may be)
If I won it would be a toss up between Sydney and Paris, though I’d love to try the Peninsula Papagayo in Costa Rica. Which one would you choose if you won?
Here is a link to the Official Rules.