The long holiday weekend is approaching fast. Flying somewhere at this late date is likely to be expensive, but depending on where you are, there are options. If you’re into cruising, I’m still seeing a tiny bit of availability on weekend cruises from Florida. If you’re within driving distance of Miami or Port Canaveral, there are a few options. The cheap deals are gone, but if you’re interested, act now.
At this point, a good staycation might be just what the doctor ordered. Right here in Atlanta, the W Atlanta Buckhead is available for this weekend right now at reasonable rates, and you might even catch a few fireworks from the rooftop lounge. Same for the Westin Peachtree Plaza in downtown Atlanta. You’ll surely see some fireworks from the Sun Dial Lounge!
Not from Atlanta? My friends at Hilton Worldwide tell me they have a few great hotels for enjoying holiday fireworks across the country. All of these hotels are bookable through hiltonweekends.com, and HHonors members can earn Double HHonors Points or Double Miles through the Double Your HHonors promotion.
- Chill out with friends at the pool during the day or get a refreshing spa treatment at the Guerlain Spa
- Grab a pre-dinner cocktail at the hotel’s on-site legendary Bull and Bear Bar before feasting at Bull and Bear Prime Steakhouse
- To conclude a day of relaxation and fun, walk just a few short blocks from the hotel to the East River to view one the famous Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks show
- Start the next morning off with breakfast/brunch at Oscar’s Brasserie
- Soak up the summer sun on the sky deck during the afternoon and then cool off afterwards at the connected indoor pool
- Sit out-on the sidewalk patio at the hotel’s Irish pub Kitty O’Shea’s and quench your thirst with one of their signature cocktails or a nice beer/wine
- 720 South Bar & Grill is the hotel’s classic American grill which makes the perfect backdrop for your 4th of July dinner
- Once done with dinner, gather your friends/family in your room and pull-up a chair to view the fireworks right from your hotel window
- And I might add that Chicago has a fine fireworks display from personal experience. Another great way to watch – dinner cruise on Lake Michigan
- Spend the day outside getting some color at the hotel pool
- Enjoy the nightly Manager’s Reception featuring complimentary alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and snacks
- Head to Embassy Grill for dinner
- After dinner, head back to the pool deck where guests can catch a fantastic view of Houston’s fireworks show
- The next morning, check-out the complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast
Don’t know about you, but I’m digging that pool! It’s been HOT in Atlanta!! Whatever you decide to do this weekend, enjoy a few days off!
-MJ, July 2, 2014